Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Wednesday Ruminations



- I generally avoid political issues on here, but I'm feeling more and more like I'm going to have to go John Galt if things keep going as they are. Maybe I'm just depressed at the thought of having to sit through one more debate tonight.

- I'm playing with the idea of a postmodern martini inspired by my friend Kevin Ludwig. Right now, I've got some nice Sepay Groves olive oil infusing into Bombay Sapphire gin and an interesting twist on vermouth coming up. I'm hoping to have this up pretty soon.

- Jacob Grier has arrived in Portland and he brought some Fee Brothers Rhubarb Bitters up from California. I've got to say, this is one of the more interesting bitters I've had to date. He's also brought up some Grand Traverse Distillery vodka, a premium vodka made in Michigan. While I am clearly not much of a vodka fan, I still appreciate well made spirits and I'm looking forward to trying it.

- Jeff “vodka lover” Morgenthaler sent some Bitter Truth Celery bitters my way. I haven't really been in cocktail mode recently, but I can't wait to try them. I first tasted them when the legendary Murray Stenson of Zig Zag Cafe made me a few cocktails with them. Its an absolutely brilliant product.

- I'm spending a week next month in the Palm Springs area. I'll do some wine tasting in Temecula, visit the Salton Sea and Joshua Tree, but if anyone has any other recommendations for things to do down there, I'm all ears. Of course, part of me wants to make a run down to Baja for some street tacos and seafood carts.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who is Lance Mayhew?

Jennie Kelly said...

While in the Salton Sea area, visit the North Shore Yacht Club on the East side. It has been empty for many years, but renovation will be starting early next spring. Also visit Rancho Dos Palmas in North Shore. It is a historical old adobe with a rich history (google it). You will have to hike in from the parking area to see the ranch house and bunkhouse. There is an oasis at the parking area with a nice trail through it. There are many more oasis past the ranchouse if you're up to a longer hike. They are due North East of the rancho. The original Dos Palmas Oasis was the site of a stage station on the Bradshaw Trail. Nearby there are two grave sites, one of a child who died while at the stage stop, and the other is Ehrenberg's. The town of Ehrenberg near Blythe was named after him. He was murdered while sleeping and although the station operator swore it was Indians, it was commonly believed that the operator was responsible as Ehrenberg carried $3500 with him.

Anonymous said...

He / she has beenDiablo III items murdered during sleep in addition to although place user swore that it was Indians,D3 Gold it was normally thought that the actual user ended up being liable asD3 ITEms Ehrenberg moved $3500 together with your ex.