Random thoughts and observations on a rather slow Friday
- I usually blog using a Mac G4 , as I'm a huge Mac fan and its a great machine. However, with some new writing possibilities coming up in the future, I've been looking for something light and portable for blogging and surfing only. This weekend, my friend Lee loaned me his MSI Wind Netbook , which runs Windows, Linux and can run as a Hackintosh. I'm going to be trying it out during the next few weeks and I'll let you know what I think.
- The other night, my wife and I ate dinner with Jake Grier over at Ned Ludd for the second time. I had a great cockscomb terrine, probably the most interesting terrine I've ever had. They have a great beer and wine selection (not a large selection, but well thought out and interesting). Now if they just let Suzanne Allard work her magic with a cocktail program, the place could be stunning. As it is though, it and Lincoln are my two favorite places to eat in NE.
- I applied for a position as a west coast brand ambassador for a company today. I actually didn't think I stood a chance, but I got a call back 20 minutes after applying. Then I realized that they wanted me to relocate. Umm, no. I love Portland and I'm not leaving this town. So I withdrew. Great company, great brand, great opportunity. Someone is going to get a wonderful job but it won't be me. How come liquor companies don't look to more Pacific NW bartenders for brand ambassadorships? Perhaps we are too independent.
- Paul Clarke wrote an excellent article for the NY Times on why he drinks. Its wonderfully written and well said.
- Fantinel , the Italian winemaker, rung the bell to start the NASDAQ trading day yesterday. They are donating 25% off all the profits off of their new merlot offering to a UN program to fight hunger. Its nice to see some companies doing good things even in hard times.
- Moet has a cool idea for Valentines going on over at MyMoet.com . You can get custom messages imprinted in crystal on bottles of Moet for your loved ones. Cool idea.
- We added a number of new products to the back bar at 50 Plates recently. Hennessy XO cognac, Ardbeg single malt scotch, a couple of different finishes (port, sherry and sauternes) from Glenmorangie and more. Fun stuff, make sure you stop in and try them.
- Lastly, I'm dying to taste the new Glenmorangie Signet . While I've always been a whiskey guy, Scotch whisky has been the final frontier for me, and I'm falling in love.