Saturday, May 17, 2008

Drink du jour- The Monkeytown Cocktail


Its been blazing hot here in Portland, unseasonably so, and I've been looking for something new to cool off with. Yesterday, I was at Uwajimaya, the best asian grocery store in the area and I spotted some interesting drinks. I ran across Yeo's Sugar Cane drink, and I thought that it might make a great base for a cocktail, so I picked up a few cans.
After rolling it around in my head for a while, I realized that I had a bottle of Cabana Cachaca that had been generously provided to me for blogging about Tales of the Cocktail. I've been really intrigued with cachaca recently, and have really enjoyed having Cabana in the house. It seemed like a natural fit, a distilled cane sugar spirit with a cane sugar beverage, but I wanted a little more complexity, something to add depth and interest to the drink and keep it from being too one dimensional. So I turned to an old standby, green chartreuse, and a new favorite, Bittermens Xocolatl Chocolate Mole Bitters. Both added needed notes to this drink, and the combo of green chartreuse and Bittermens chocolate mole bitters won't be soon forgotten.
The only downside that I can think of with this drink is that it did come out almost the same color as Midori, an almost neon green, but the drink is both tasty and complex, so I'll live with the color.
One last thing, as I'm sure people are going to ask. What or where is Monkeytown? Well, I liked the name, and its a suburb of Monroe Utah, and I have no idea why that area is called Monkeytown. I just felt like calling something Monkeytown more than anything. So there you have it, the Monkeytown cocktail.

The Monkeytown Cocktail

1oz Cabana Cachaca
1/2 oz green Chartreuse
2 dashes Bittermens Xocolatl Chocolate Mole Bitters
4 oz Yeo's Sugar Cane Drink

Build dry
add ice
enjoy

5 comments:

Tiare said...

Interesting cocktail..despite the color;-)the only problem i can see is how to find the mole bitters, they are not out for sale yet as far as i`ve seen..

Lance J. Mayhew said...

No, Bittermen's aren't available yet, but I think they will be on the market soon. I really like the chocolate/ chartreuse combo, but I think Angostura would work well, although in a different way.

T. Mixeur said...

You got a free bottle of Cabana for blogging on Tales? I've gotten bup diddly! This is an outrage! I think industry standard is 100mL of liquor for each reader of a blog. I have 7.5 readers, so I'm entitled to 750mL!

Can the OBG look into this?

Anonymous said...

Exciting beverage.Diablo 3 Items.regardless of the coloration;( space ))one problem i can tell is how you can obtain the mole bitters, they are certainly not available on theBillig WoW Gold market yet as much as i`ve observed..

http://wwww.safeswtorcredits.com/ said...

The only downside that I can think of with this drink is that it did come out almost the same color as Midori, an almost neon green, but the drink is both tasty and complex, so I'll live with the color.
One last thing, http://www.buywizardrygold.com/ as I'm sure people are going to ask. What or where is Monkeytown? Well, I liked the name, and its a suburb of Monroe Utah, and I have no idea why that area is called Monkeytown. I just http://www.darkfallwarsgold.com/ felt like calling something Monkeytown more than anything. So there you have it, the Monkeytown cocktail.