Friday, August 1, 2008

Better safe than sorry

Cocktails are a rather frivolous business. No one lives or dies based on the way I make a sazerac. I'm not curing cancer behind the bar, and from current statistics, 1 in 3 Americans doesn't even drink so they could care less what I do.
There is a dark side to our business as well. Alcoholism, cirrhosis and other diseases can and do affect people in our business, so care needs to be taken around alcohol. I'm not a gloom and doomer, but I realize that not everyone can drink responsibly and that alcohol is a very powerful force in some peoples lives.
I like to drink. I really do. Sometimes, the thought of a good Manhattan is enough to get me through a tough work day. Most times, its just a cocktail or two, but sometimes I'll put a few back. I've been lucky enough to be blessed with good health, and for that I am extremely thankful. If ever something happened to threaten my health because of alcohol, well lets be honest here. I like living more than I like drinking.
Athletes regularly have career ending injuries. Bartenders should too. I would never wish ill health on anyone, not even those that I don't like. Health matters are something to be taken seriously, and if its a choice between my health and the bar, well, that should be a no brainer right?
I'm not going to tell people how to live their lives, but I do hope and pray that anyone who is experiencing health problems as a result of alcohol consumption quit. I know I would without a moments hesitation. My health is far more valuable than a couple of cocktails.
Here is wishing all of you good health and a great weekend!

3 comments:

Jonathan said...

"I would never wish ill health on anyone, not even those that I don't like."

Huh? What are you, 9? That's the moral compass of a child that hasn't been able to think abstractly about or empathize with the suffering of others.

Take your presumptive and self-righteous screed elsewhere and write about what you, presumably, know - good drinks.

dfadf said...

The first threeMicrosoft Office entries tell us that Bill
earned $125,000,Office 2010 $150,000, and $125,000
for speeches toMicrosoft Office 2010 Morgan Stanley, the
Aventura-TurnberOffice 2007ry Jewish Center, and
Oracle in FebruaMicrosoft Office 2007ry of 2001 and he wasn't
even done for tOffice 2010 keyhe month. The list continues
for ten pages.ThOffice 2010 downloade book was published in
May of last year.Office 2010 Professional You may wonder, how
did Tyrrell (who,Microsoft outlook full disclosure,signs
my paychecks; pluOutlook 2010s we share the same
publisher) get hiWindows 7s hands on this illuminatinginformation?
Did he plant a molMicrosoft outlook 2010e in the Clinton campaign? Did he
take off his tailored jacket and go diving through the Clintons' trash for financial
clues? Did he consult a psychic?

Anonymous said...

Right? Exactly what are an individual,D3 Gold Being unfaithful? Be the moral compass of the baby that has not been in a position to assume abstractly regarding or GW2 goldsympathize together with the struggling connected with some others.