Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Bacon, eggnog and cherry bombs




One of my recent experiments has involved infusing everclear with bacon. I posted the above two photos so that you could see the bacon infusion after approximately three weeks and also what the everclear looked like after straining the bacon off. I have to say, all I did was cook some bacon to the crisp side, let it cool down, and then added it to a fifth of everclear and put it in the basement for three weeks. This is all part of my master plan to make a bacon infused German eggnog, but of course, before I can start the eggnog, I needed to get the bacon flavor into my liquor.

When I went to take the bacon out of the everclear this evening, I was quite surprised to find that the bacon was still crisp. I found it slightly alluring, and I really wanted to try it. One of the lesser establishments where I used to work used to take jars of maraschino cherries and they'd pour out the juice, refill the jar with Bacardi 151, and let them steep for a few days. They called them "Cherry Bombs" and sold them 2 for .50. I don't remember too much about them except that between the staff and all the homeless people we attracted with a .50 buzz we had to make a jar every day or so. I don't think people ate the cherries for the flavor, and unfortunately, the bacon was the same way. The everclear had rendered it tasteless, but it retained its original crispness and I did catch a bit of a buzz off of the piece that I ate. Somehow, I doubt bars will replace cherry bombs with bacon bombs, but who knows?

I've wrapped the strained everclear with plastic wrap and I've currently got it in the freezer overnight. I spotted some fat globules (I think) in the liquid and figured that freezing it will hopefully bring the fat to the surface so that I can skim it off tomorrow. The liquid itself is a lovely pale golden color, and there is a mild aroma of bacon to the liquid. I'm hoping for the best, as I prepare for a very public failure if it doesn't work.

On another note, I was quite flattered to read a blog today by someone who is a cupcake baker. Apparently, my article in the current Imbibe Magazine inspired her to make a cupcake with a similar flavor profile. I was quite thrilled to read it (I'll post a link once I have her permission) and thought that it was so supremely creative that I'm tempted to get in the kitchen this weekend and make a batch of her cupcakes. It completely made my day.

I think I'll sit here for the rest of the evening nursing my Averna and OJ and hope for the best tomorrow. Lets hope the eggnog works itself out.

6 comments:

Siobhan said...

I'm intrigued and a little bit scared. I love bacon as much as the next non-vegetarian, but crispy after three weeks? That is scary. Can't wait to read more!

Anonymous said...

Those cupcakes made my day too.

Bacon is amazing, simply amazing. As is this experiment.

erik.ellestad said...

I think, and I'm not a scientist nor do I play one on TV, that sogginess would only result if the bacon absorbed water from the liquid. In the case of high proof alcoholic liquids, water doesn't tend to enter the solids.

I haven't tried bacon, but I have tried dried chiles and apricots. When I've soaked these in Wray & Nephew overproof Rum, I was surprised to discover they did not re-hydrate even though they flavor the steeping liquid.

Anonymous said...

This liquid isbuy D3 Gold a pleasant light golden color, and there is a mild smell associated with moolah for the water. I'm hoping for top, as I plan a very Guild Wars 2 Goldgeneral public disappointment when it fails.

wedding dress said...

 In order to have good wedding dress, a person should choose those places and shops which deals specifically in wedding dresses. Wedding dresses are usually chosen according to the designs, and hence these shops possess a lot of designs in order to furnish the requirement of costumes. The traditional wedding gown are found cheaper as compared to the modern style prom Dress. It is also needed to look at the quality of the fabric as well before choosing any dress. It might be possible that the high quality dresses would be expensive, but remember, the high quality wedding dresses would give more charming look and generate more gorgeous personality. Many years ago people do not wear special dress at the time of their marriage, but at present it is included in our social custom. Those marriage dresses would be fine, that are not too much expensive, since these wedding dresses are worn usually at the time of wedding only. The budget should also be considered and only those dresses should be chosen which would be purchased easily. So get your wedding dress and flaunt. Traditional dresses are the perfect dresses for any wedding. So if you want to add a traditional feel to your wedding, wear a traditional wedding dress.

Cadencealida said...

No one can deny the greatness of this game on the Path of Exile. To better experience this excellent game, you need an excellent assistant.

POECurrency.com is committed to providing players with high-quality currency trading services on the Path of Exile, effectively helping players optimize the loot structure, improve game efficiency, and is committed to enabling all players to enjoy an excellent gaming experience. Choose us and you will not regret it.