Thursday, January 24, 2008

Raiders of the Lost Cocktail- The Apricot Cocktail


Already this month I participated in my first Mixology Monday, which quickly became one of my favorite experiences on this blog, and I've been looking for similar experiences. I came across Paul Clarke's blog, the Cocktail Chronicles. Paul is one of my favorite spirits writers, and I've been honored to share the pages of the Jan/Feb issue of Imbibe with him. Paul is the third host of "Raiders of the Lost Cocktail", an exercise in revisiting some of the more obscure ingredients and their role in classic cocktails. This month, the theme is Apricot Brandy.I was intrigued, and to be honest, I needed a break tonight so that I can finish off my eggnog. So I picked up my 1948 copy of Patrick Gavin Duffy's "The Standard Bartenders Guide". The obviously named Apricot Cocktail struck my fancy as its easy to reproduce and yet might be an interesting cocktail. I did however, lack any apricot brandy in the house, and with Oregon being a control state, I was rather worried that I wouldn't be able to get a quality product. My suspicions came true after a visit to one of our Soviet era liquor stores, where my choices were Mr. Boston or DeKuyper. While I hate DeKuyper (I think its Dutch for "crap"), personal pride wouldn't let me buy Mr. Boston, so $8.45 later, I was the proud owner of a fifth of DeKuyper's finest Apricot Brandy. Surprisingly, the DeKuyper worked well in the cocktail, so now I can't wait to get my hands on some decent apricot brandy. It made for a tasty cocktail and one I think that deserves some consideration for resurrection for the graveyard of forgotten cocktails. Without further ado, here is the recipe.

Apricot Cocktail
1/4 Lemon Juice
1/4 Orange Juice
1/2 Apricot Brandy
Dash dry gin (I used House Spirit's Aviation Gin and it worked very well)


Shake well and strain into a glass

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This designed for D3 Goldsome sort of yummy beverage and another I do believe that warrants many thing to consider pertaining to resurrection for your graveyard connected with forgotten drinks. Without having further ado, this is actuallyGW2 gold the menu.