Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Truth and Beauty- Product Review Averna Limoni



I'm sure the first question most of you are wondering is, "Hey Mayhew, when are you going to finish that bacon eggnog?". Well, patience is a virtue and I promise that I'll have it up by the end of the weekend. Moving on, I came home this evening to find a package waiting for me on my front door. The nice folks who represent Averna sent me a package containing a bottle of Averna amaro, Averna Limoni and Averna Sambuca along with an airline bottle of G'Vine gin. As soon as I saw the Limoni bottle I became instantly suspicious. Here is an Italian company making a lemon liqueur that isn't limoncello? I pulled the bottle out of the package so that it wouldn't contaminate my precious amaro by its very presence. As a general rule, I hate commercial lemon liqueurs. They all fall far short of the limoncello that I make at home, and in no way resemble the limoncello that you get in Italy. I was curious about why a lemon liqueur from Italy (Sicily specifically) wasn't being marketed as limoncello, and I was surprised to find out that instead of lemon peel infused in grain alcohol which is how limoncello is made, Averna Limoni is actually distilled from lemon juice. I decided to try a little bit, just for the sake of research before I banished this bottle to the basement. I took down a rocks glass, added two ice cubes, and poured an ounce of Limoni, swirled it around in the glass, took a whiff and then sipped it. My mind was flooded with memories as I savored the Limoni. The heady smell of lemons in the markets of Italy, summers spent flirting with a sweet girl named Silence, sucking the nectar out of honeysuckle flowers when I was 10, all warm and powerful memories. I've never had any type of beverage bring back memories like this Limoni did, so I just stood in the kitchen for a little bit, stunned. The liqueur is better than any limoncello that I've ever had, it is redolent of lemon blossoms, very floral in addition to its lemon overtones. I went from skeptical to a fan as soon as I had that first sip. I was in love! My mind started racing with possibilities for mixers, until I realized that the perfect complement was still in the box on my dining room table. I opened up the Averna amaro, poured a little in with the Limoni and tasted again. Still too thick to drink but very tasty. A little club soda proved the perfect final addition to a wonderful new creation. My wife commented, "I think its just really drinkable, sweet but its got that earthy component so that its not girly sweet". I call it the Truth and Beauty Cocktail. Just for reference as well, the second picture is the Limoni next to a bottle of my homemade limoncello to highlight the difference in color. The Limoni is more of a solid intense yellow versus the lighter, less opaque yellow of most limoncellos.

Here is the recipe for the Truth and Beauty Cocktail. This is really a fantastic cocktail, and I'd really encourage you to reproduce this at home. Its easy to prepare, well balanced, and delicious.

2oz Averna Limoni Di Sicilia
1/2 oz Averna Amaro
Club Soda

1) In a double rocks glass, add liquors, ice, stir to incorporate and fill with club soda.

9 comments:

erik.ellestad said...

So, I guess you are saying you like it?

Lance J. Mayhew said...

Yeah, I pretty much fell in love with it the moment I tasted it.

Anonymous said...

Well, that sounds like something I really need to try, especially considering how much I like your limoncello.

Unknown said...

Um, would you like to share your Limoncello recipe?

Eden Eternal Review Gold said...

I'm sure many of you think that the first question is: "Hey, Mayhew, when are you going to stop the bacon sabayon?". Well, patience is a virtue, and I promise that I am at the end of the weekend. Moving on, I came home tonight to find a package waiting for me at the door.Eden GoldBuy Eden GoldCheap Eden GoldEden EternalEden Eternal GoldEden Eternal Review

Anonymous said...

Here's the recipke to the Simple fact and sweetnesscheap diablo 3 Gold Beverage. This really is an excellent drink, along with I would definitely motivate someone to duplicate this specific at home.Billig Guild Wars 2 Gold It's very easy to ready, nicely balanced, in addition to delectable.

wedding dress said...

  When you're graduation through university, will not you need to appear because nothing you've seen prior? Nicely, I am certain whatever you females like to liven up and appear your very best all the time, however graduating needs to be unique. Colours for example whitened (most widely used), light yellow-colored, gentle eco-friendly, azure, red, peach, grey click here, dark, metallic, lilac, and so on., tend to be a few tones you are able to decide for the actual graduating gowns with regard to university. The colour whitened or even off white is actually most favored within graduating gowns with regard to juniors, to keep a particular uniformity one of the ladies through the wedding ceremony.

summermobile said...

A little club soda proved the perfect final addition to a wonderful new creation.

http://www.meizu-mx5.com/
http://www.htc-one-m9.com/

Unknown said...

I took down a rocks glass, added two ice cubes, and poured an ounce of Limoni, swirled it around in the glass, took a whiff and then sipped it. My mind was flooded with memories as I savored the Limoni. The heady smell of lemons in the markets of Italy, summers spent flirting with a sweet girl named Silence, sucking the nectar out of honeysuckle flowers when I was 10, all warm and powerful memories.
http://www.meizu-mx5.com/