Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Old Tom First Impressions and the Cold Medicine #8 Cocktail



I'll preface by saying that the old taste buds are a bit on the fritz with this cold, so I enlisted my partner in crime, Raena to help with the tasting. I first poured about a 1/2 oz into a wineglass to see it, smell the aroma, etc. The Old Tom seems to contain glycerine, as it coated the sides of the glass but didn't leave any legs. The aroma was pretty front and center alcohol with an undertone of juniper. As soon as we tasted it, it did have a perceptible sweetness and the juniper was a definite background note, almost an afterthought. My inital impression was more of a sweet vodka than an actual gin, with some definite burn and some rough edges. Next, it was time for a cocktail.

Since I'm only drinking for "medicinal" purposes right now, here is the Cold Medicine #8 Cocktail. If I remade it, I think Aviation would be a better match with its peppery undertones.

2 oz Old Tom Gin (Boords)
1 oz Aperol
1 oz Luxardo Abano Amaro

Build over a couple of ice cubes, stir to incorporate and enjoy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lance - I asked Wondrich about the Boord's and he confirmed much of what your post suggests and what you might be too polite to say - this cat don't scratch. - eas

Anonymous said...

Hi there LanceCheap Diablo 3 items * I asked Wondrich concerning the Boord's and he validated high of precisely what your site implies in addition to what you might possibly be also polite to say ( space ) that pet kaufen wow goldreally don't scratch. * eas